Report Abuse

Vivo X90 Pro Review: 1Inch Sensor Matters

Post a Comment
Vivo X90 Pro Review: 1Inch Sensor Matters

When I ranked my favorite phones of 2022, I named the Vivo X90 Pro Plus third because the camera system is very impressive and in my opinion the best. The only reason I don't rate it higher than Google Pixel 7 Pro or Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 is that the Vivo device is a China-only model, so it lacks some of the Google integrations that make the Pixel 7 Pro pleasant. Application. At the time, I thought I could only wait a month for the device to go international to get a mobile version fully integrated with Google's software.

Imagine my surprise when Vivo announced the X90 series to a global audience but didn't include a Pro Plus model. Conversely, consumers in markets such as India, Singapore, Hong Kong and Western Europe are only getting the budget X90 Pro (note the lack of a plus in the title). This overall Pro model looks and feels like the Pro Plus, but it omits the sleek 3.5x Periscope lens and uses the lesser-known Dimensity 9200 chip (instead of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 that powers the Plus model).

But after testing the X90 Pro for a few weeks, I'm happy to report that much of what made the Pro Plus so great is still there. You can't scale that far.

The best feature of the Vivo X90 Pro Plus is its main camera with a 1" Sony IMX989 sensor, which is also present in the Pro model. This is the largest sensor in a smartphone camera to date, and with a larger sensor, you have more ability to capture light and image information, resulting in more detailed photographs with a wider dynamic range.The large sensor also creates a shallow depth of field effect for a natural blur, better known as bokeh.

This camera, together with Vivo's V2 image processing chip, produces stunning images with more depth and dynamic range than most photos taken with a smartphone. I think it's the best camera in the industry right now. I particularly like Vivo's vintage filters, which give photos an analog film effect.

Elsewhere, the leatherette back that I love on the Pro Plus models is also back here on the Pro, creating a textured feel that stands out against any glass panels.

As for the MediaTek Dimensity chip, although it is not as technically powerful as Qualcomm's best chips, it is still a very powerful flagship processor. I had no issues during my trial days shooting 4K video, scrolling through dozens of apps, or playing games.

Battery life is excellent too, with a large 4870mAh cell that can power the phone for 13-14 hours before dropping it. There is a fast charger on board and a charger is included.

In terms of software, the phone runs Android 13 with Vivo FunTouch OS. As a global model, it comes preloaded with Google apps, and all the essentials like Google Assistant are here and can be invoked by voice or swipe (you can't on the China-exclusive Pro Plus model) .

All in all, the X90 Pro is a great smartphone, and if it weren't for the fact that I was spoiled by its slightly better big brother, I'd be optimistic about calling it the phone competitor of this year. . But that's human nature: I've seen superior versions of these phones, so I'll always be a bit annoyed.

The price of X90 Pro varies by region and so far I only have the price in Malaysia which is 4999 MYR or around $1100. It's a steep price to pay for a phone without a Samsung or Apple brand, but those of us who have actually tested smartphone cameras know that it's better than the best cameras from Samsung or Apple.

Open the Vivo X90 Pro box!

Related Posts

Post a Comment